What can I do now?
- Make sure your electronic health record is certified by the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) for Health Information.
- Check if you want to use a qualified clinical data registry or other registry to submit your quality data.
- See what MIPS data your practice can choose to send in. Figure out which measures and activities best fit your practice.
- Decide whether you should report as an individual or with a group.
Should I report as an individual or with a group?
Report as an individual.
If you report as an individual, your payment adjustment will be based on your performance.
An individual is defined as a single clinician, identified by a single National Provider Identifier (NPI) number tied to a single Tax Identification Number (TIN).
You'll need to send your individual data for each of the MIPS categories through an electronic health record or a registry. You can also send in quality data through your routine Medicare claims process.
Report with a group
Each Clinician participating in MIPS via a group will receive a payment adjustment based on the group's performance.
Under MIPS, a group is defined as a single Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) with 2 or more eligible clinicians (including at least one MIPS eligible clinician), as identified by their National Provider Identifiers (NPI), who have reassigned their Medicare billing rights to the TIN.
For 2017, groups are able to choose from a list of available data submission mechanisms (some options vary based on performance category) including:
- CMS Web Interface (only available to groups with 25 or more eligible clinicians)
- Qualified Clinical Data Registry (QCDR)
- Qualified Registry
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Administrative Claims
- CAHPS for MIPS Survey (only available to groups with 2 or more eligible clinicians)
Between April 1 through June 30, 2017, registration is open for groups planning to participate in MIPS via the CMS Web Interface or Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) for MIPS survey. Only these 2
submission options require registration.