What are Alternative Payment Models (APMs)?
An APM is a payment approach that gives added incentive payments to provide high-quality and cost-efficient care. APMs can apply to a specific clinical condition, a care episode, or a population.
Advanced APMs are a subset of APMs, and let practices earn more for taking on some risk related to their patients' outcomes. You may earn a 5% incentive payment by going further in improving patient care and taking on risk through an Advanced APM.
What models are Advanced APMs?
In 2017, the following models are Advanced APMs:
How do I join an Advanced APM?
- Learn about specific Advanced APMs and how to apply.
- Apply to an Advanced APM that fits your practice and is currently accepting applications.
- This website will be updated as new information is available.
What happens if I am in an Advanced APM?
Once you're in an Advanced APM, you'll earn the 5% incentive payment in 2019 for Advanced APM participation in 2017 if:
- You receive 25% of your Medicare Part B payments through an Advanced APM or
- See 20% of your Medicare patients through an Advanced APM
You'll need to send in the quality data required by your Advanced APM. Your model's website will tell you how to send in your Advanced APM's quality data.